Wednesday, February 8, 2012

It has been a week...

It is only half way through the week and it has definitely already been a struggle.
I'm tired. I hate to feel the way I do when it comes to starting a new school day--I love all of my kids. I love teaching them and I love seeing their light bulbs all of a sudden turn on--but I'm exhausted from spending more time on discipline than I am on teaching.
It's not fair to the rest of my students.
We have one student who I have tried my hardest with to spend one-on-one time with. I have tried to do positive reinforcement with him. I have tried figuring out his interests. I WANT him to learn. I ask him to come learn with us...and it seems he only wants to act up. He only wants to be out of control. He is DYING for attention that I cannot give him.
I am worn out from the thought of going to school each day and straining my voice so my other students can hear me.
It saddens me so much that this little boy will not learn the way he should.
Today was the worst of them all, and it was only half a day of school.
While we are trying to ignore his behaviors and teach the other students to stay on task and ignore his behaviors, he only gets louder and violent.
We have to tell our students if they ever feel like they are in danger to tell us.
We have to finally get to the point where we CAN'T ignore him, and we have to take him to choice or the principal.
He's in kindergarten.
He should be learning.
I feel like I should be able to teach him.
It goes from shaking stuff, to pouring stuff out, to screaming, to crawling around on the floor, to knocking stuff off desks, to getting in my face and the other teachers faces and the students faces, to pushing the other students, to running out the back door...there is no end.
I don't want to vent about my internship...I want to tell of the GREAT stories---I WANT to highlight my good kids who never get in trouble. I want to tell everyone about my students who's handwriting is improving and who are excited to write a sentence with an exclamation point or a question mark...but the top of my mind is focused on this one child.
It isn't fair.
Any advice?

2 comments:

  1. It starts at home britt. There is obviously something going on at home. Maybe a parent teacher conference to kind of get a feel of the parents. You cannot have one child disrupting the others all the time. I would feel the parents out to kind of gauge where he is coming from. Ya feel me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talk to his Dad on a daily basis almost. His Dad has met with us several times and is meeting with us tomorrow morning. He's going through different levels of behavior, and is going to be held back. The problem is, nothing's working. It's very frustrating.

      Delete